Run For The Wall Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >RFTW General Discussion >General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

SR stop in Colorado City,Tx 2013

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toad6301 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SR stop in Colorado City,Tx 2013
    Posted: Jan-09-2013 at 3:50pm
I live and work here in Colorado city and was a FNG on the "RUN"
last year, I know of a local group that has been asked to entertain
during the lunch stop here on Saturday May 18th and am looking
forward to being Blessed by their talent. Is it May yet???????
2009 Ultra Classic

U.S.Navy vet 1981-85,1990-93

STG1 USS Elmer Montgomery,Miller,and Olendorf

CMA chaplain and Patriot Guard member
Big Al View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Al Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan-09-2013 at 4:23pm
Last year I also was and FNG. I thought the talent at Colorado City was awesome. I liked the little cowboy on the guitar. Looking forward to new talent.
Some times when things are falling apart, They may be actually be fallig into place
Mojo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan-09-2013 at 5:20pm
Toad,
Yes, Mark Merrill (the principal of CC Middle School) & the Colorado City community bring in wonderful entertainment for us.   I personally look forward to the school's special little band that plays such lively and danceable music.   It's hard to keep me from grabbing Wicked & doing some two-stepping...!   
I'm eager to see the new entertainment!

Big Al,
That little boy on the fiddle was outstanding.   Hope he'll be back..!    Big smile    He truly has a gift from God for that fiddle!   When Wicked & I went to the Bob Wills weekend in Turkey, TX, (called Bob Wills Days every April) we saw a girl about 8 or 9 years old that played the fiddle & a Texas swing song.  Amazing how kids can do that....

Good stuff from West Texas...!!

Mojo

Mojo
LaiKhe67tc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LaiKhe67tc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan-09-2013 at 10:44pm
I hate to get into comparing the stops, each one offers so much and they are not the same.  But Colorado City is just one big bright spot on this run that you just wish all your friends could experience with you!
Freedom. It seems to frighten a lot of people, but I am sold on it.
toad6301 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toad6301 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan-10-2013 at 2:47am
I am with ya Tom and wasn't meaning to compare by any
means. I am proud of our little town and the school system
and Mr.Merrill in particular for keeping all military interests
in front of the student body as my son is in Colorado Middle
School this year as a 6th grader. I indeed was BLESSED by
each and every stop along the way as well as was blown away
by those who chose to stand vigil for us at spots along the
road in the middle of no-where and ALL the overpasses. I still
tear up when explaining the solo man in a wheelchair with
no one else in sight holding a 3x5 flag on a VA overpass.
Once again, is it May yet??????
2009 Ultra Classic

U.S.Navy vet 1981-85,1990-93

STG1 USS Elmer Montgomery,Miller,and Olendorf

CMA chaplain and Patriot Guard member
Raven View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan-10-2013 at 7:11am
toad6301, you have reason to be proud of your little city and we are all proud to stop in CC.  Hope to see you one the run again and look forward to our stop and the program this coming year.  
I really liked the little girls tumble team year before last, they were AWESOME!
IT'S NEVER TOO LATE TO SAY WELCOME HOME!
THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE!
Tomorrow Is Promised To No One!
Hot Rod Grandpa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hot Rod Grandpa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan-10-2013 at 10:41am
Toad6301, as an FNG last year, I was in awe of every community we visited and the outpouring of love and support and respect shown to us all along the way. But I am in agreement with some of the others here in saying that CC was absolutely tops. From the kids wading through the parking motorcycles with ice-cold bottles of water to the high school band to the little guy with the fiddle to the great food to the posters about your local veterans, I was just amazed. Truly, for me, one of the real highlights of the Run. No wonder you are so proud.

HRG
Remember, the price of freedom is written on the Wall.
U.S. Navy '68-'74 USS Gridley DLG-21
FNG ATW SR 2012
Straggler #26
The Mayor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Mayor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan-10-2013 at 11:02am
'Had to turn around at CC in '08... my longest ride on the SR.  My wife will be on the back seat this year.  I'm not going to tell her about the CC stop, because it will be so much fun watching her reaction.  So, this year, the turn will be made at Cisco... the Saturday afternoon fuel stop.  We have friends there, and a brother in San Angelo; 'spend a couple of nights with each before returning home about the same time you'll be at the Lincoln Memorial.
There will be an All The Way on SR before I'm too old to hold the bike up.  Hmmmm, could of put Gwyn on a plane on Monday morning and taken a couple of weeks getting home while she went back to work to pay for my gas... We agreed that next time, we'd both marry for money!
As for the posts concerning which route; as said, they're both spectacular.  I've gone ATW on CR, so now it's time to cross the country on SR.  But, for Viet Nam vets, Angel Fire needs to be on the short list at least once. 
Jim "The Mayor" Frost

Rancho Cucamonga

2008, 2009, and 2010 Calif State Coordinator
SPEEDY View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SPEEDY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan-10-2013 at 11:23am

I marvel at the displays of veterans of the town, and the enthusiasm of the students as they pass out items and serve the food. Every one in that town can be proud of their children and the impact they have on us. Thank you to the folks of Colorado City for allowing us to join you in your celebration of Memorial Day. ClapClap

AD1 USN,Ret 1959-1979
VFW Post 684
PGR
RFTW SR 06 ATW 08-13
      CR ATW 07
Ice Scout View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ice Scout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan-10-2013 at 8:12pm
Mayor, you are right about Angel Fire.  That's where it all started for me in '97.  Like many other riders,  we were blessed to meet Doc Westphall back then and to share our stories. 

The chapel is truely a sacred place upon the earth.

All of the stops on each route and their people are wonderful.  Each of us finds our own special places during the Run.  For me, Angel Fire always fills my heart with joy.

Too, I'll never forget how challenging and how much fun the 133 twisties between Taos and Angel Fire are.  Or the next morning's ride to Cimmaron and the fine folks greeting us in Raton and La Junta.
ed View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan-10-2013 at 11:04pm
I must say Colorado City has left a everlasting impression on me.I have done SR the last 3 years.  By the time we arived in Colarado City I thought I was getting used to the special flag waving PATRIOTS on the overpasses and along the route.  So getting into the parking area in front of the building on a very warm day from the moment we arrived the cold water and warm SMILES was very nice.  As usual I always sort of lag behind everyone else.   There was a group of LADIES greeting and hugging evryone as we entered to the dinning area.  The one lady was hugging everyone after her hugging me I noticed another Lady standing behind her she was a little more reserved , I told them this was a very nice greeting for us I then asked the Lady standing back aren't you a hugger ?   She hugged me and looked up and said she had always been real shy ,she also said her Husban was killed in Vietnam. I really didn't know what to say except how sorry I was, and then I asked what year she said 1966, still feeling lost for words I asked what month and day.  It was Aug. 9th  1966.   I then told her that was the day I arrived in country.  I have looked the next year and again last year I never saw her.  So again this year I do hope to see her again.  Each stop all along the routes are the BEST, all of you are sure to have a special one.  Ed
ed
The Mayor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Mayor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan-11-2013 at 8:45am
'Nice reminder Ed, that often we are there for THEM, as they for us.

I'll keep a better eye out for those families and veterans on the roadside and at our stops, who also carry the wounds of war.
Jim "The Mayor" Frost

Rancho Cucamonga

2008, 2009, and 2010 Calif State Coordinator
Top Sarge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Top Sarge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan-11-2013 at 2:16pm

A long time ago Colorado City was a YOYO lunch stop.  Across the street from where a group of us went to lunch the kids were having a bake sale, and some of the group wandered over after lunch.  Several teachers were there and I believe the principle of the school, they were very impressed with our mission and told our riders of their Veteran History program.  (A chance encounter, I think not)  We were invited to the school the next year to have lunch and they put on a program.  We continued to go there until we out grew the school and then were invited to go to the community center.  Every year you think it can’t get any better than this and then they prove you wrong the next year.   Can hardly wait to see what they do this year.

HUGS Top Sarge
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic